Avro Vulcan B.2 XJ823
Synonymous with the Cold War and Britain’s nuclear deterrent of the 1960′s, the impressive size of Avro’s delta winged bomber is testament to the ingenuity and skills of the post war British aircraft industry.
English Electric Canberra T4 WE188
In 1944 there was a call for designs for a fast, high-altitude, jet-powered medium bomber to replace the Mosquito. In the same year, English Electric took up the challenge and conceived the aircraft that was to become the world famous Canberra.
Sikorsky S.55 Helicopter WV198
This helicopter is the sole survivor of the original Sikorsky built Whirlwinds and is the only example to be preserved in a museum.
It served with the Royal Navy’s Fleet Air Arm.
English Electric Lightning F53
Described as having all the aesthetic beauty of a suitcase, the Lightning was the Spitfire of its generation and what it lacked in the latter poise and purebred design, it more than made up for in being one of the best all-weather interceptors of all time.
DeHavilland Vampire T11 WS515
The Vampire has the famous DeHavilland Mosquito as its direct lineage with the fuselage pod constructed from laminated plywood. This presents new challenges to museums more used to dealing with problems of metal corrosion in jet aircraft.
Armstrong Whitworth Meteor NF14 WS832
The Meteor NF14 is the last of the Glouster Meteor breed and our example spent most of its life as a research and communications aircraft at RAE Llanbedr.
Percival Sea Prince T Mk1 WP309
The Sea Prince is a version of the Percival Prince, a family of small twin radial engined aircraft used for training radar operators.
McDonnell-Douglas Phantom FGR2
The awesome Phantom is one of our non-British aircraft exhibits. Although the Phantom was built by McDonnell Douglas in the USA, a large part of the FGR2 was British built.
Jet Provost 8409M / XS209
This was one of the 185 aircraft ordered from Hunting Percival by the RAF.
It was fitted with the more powerful Armstrong Siddeley (later Rolls Royce) Viper Mk-22 engine. She was delivered to RAF Manby on the 4th February 1964, where they had a College of Air Warfare “Macaw”s aerobatic display team who provided air displays and shows throughout the 1960’s and early 1970’s. The aircraft wore a short lived all over grey colour scheme with a red flash on the side of the nose.
British single engined “four seat” “high wing” training and touring monoplane. Built in 1958 by Auster Aircraft Ltd at Rearsby, Leicestershire. Fitted with a De Havilland Major 10 Mk.2 engine. First registered on the 4th March 1958 to Travelair Ltd, Elstree.
The Grasshopper is a primary glider intended, as the name suggests, to give basic training through short ‘hops’ on airfields or school playing fields.
It was based on a pre-war German design but used the wings of the Slingsby Cadet MkI and was designed to be easily dismantled for storage.
The very first aircraft recovered by members was a 1930’s Hawker Hart trainer. Found in a barn near Nelson Thomlinson School, Wigton, it was partially restored by members. Without a covered display area to preserve this rare aircraft, the Museum was forced to donate the aircraft to the RAF Museum Hendon where it is now displayed.